C Safe Safety Scalpel
As the latest addition to CooperSurgical's Labor & Delivery Portfolio, C SAFE helps eliminate the risk of fetal lacerations to newborns during Cesarean Section procedures
As the latest addition to CooperSurgical's Labor & Delivery Portfolio, C SAFE helps eliminate the risk of fetal lacerations to newborns during Cesarean Section procedures. C SAFE's specially designed distal tip ensures blunt entry into lower uterine segment while the shielded blade cuts up and away from the fetus. Fetal lacerations are a preventable injury that carry negative medical and economic consequences to the Obstetrician and hospital. Consider C SAFE for your next Cesarean Section procedure because one fetal laceration is one too many.
Performing a C-section, particularly an emergent procedure, can pose several challenges. Accidental And preventable fetal laceration should not be one of them. C SAFE is designed to make fetal Lacerations a “never event.” The product features:
- Distal tip that ensures blunt entry into the lower uterine segment
- Shielded blade that cuts up and away from the fetus to prevent accidental nicks or cuts
C SAFE helps reduce the risk of laceration posed by traditional scalpels and provides added safety during C-section for baby, mother and the surgical team.
Insert at an Oblique Angle, Then Rock Handle Horizontally
1. Use the distal tip to enter into the uterine wall. Position the angle of the tip carefully based on the thickness of the uterine wall. Proper entry can be achieved either in a single pass or multiple passes.
2. Once C SAFE tip passes through uterine wall, immediately rock the device handle horizontally so the C SAFE tip points in the direction of intended incision, as well as pointing slightly upwards toward the inner uterine wall.
3. Once in the uterine cavity, continue the incision transversely.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why should I consider using C SAFE?
A: C SAFE not only helps to prevent fetal lacerations, but the potential medical, legal and emotional complications that are likely to occur as a result.
C SAFE has been used in thousands of cases since its introduction to the market in 2012 and is quickly becoming recognized as a device within many institutions across the nation that has the potential to make fetal lacerations a “never event.”
Q: How does C SAFE prevent fetal lacerations?
A: C SAFE was specially designed to prevent fetal lacerations. The distal tip ensures blunt entry into the uterus while the shielded blade cuts up and away from the fetus. With a traditional scalpel, the blade is exposed to the fetus, causing the potential for laceration, especially during emergent cases. With C SAFE, the blade is shielded which helps ensure that the scalpel will not make contact with the fetus.
Q: Will I be able to keep a secure grasp on the device with slippery gloves?
A: C SAFE’s handle was specially designed to accommodate surgical gloves. Thick knurling on both the sides of the device, as well as a pressure point to place your index finger, were incorporated into the design specifically for this purpose.